Sunday, July 05, 2009

Recap

So here is a little update of my past few days since I have been a slacker (and busy!)

Thursday: We went to Tarquinia to visit the Etruscan tombs. Lets just say these things are ancient! They are from the 4-9 century BC...hella old! We got to crawl underground, where it was either hotter or cooler, and look at the tombs they made. Some of them were preserevd very well and the colors on the walls were still vibrant where others had little left to see. There was a change in their attitude towards death, from them embracing it to being scared of it because demons started appearing on their tombs. It was a long bus ride but it was pretty fun.

Friday: Boring! Well the school part at least. When Mussolini was in power, he wanted to take Rome back to its roots and wanted to put back the old culture (use columns again and stuff like that.) We went to the Museum of Roman Civilization but it was mostly copies of the original statues we had already seen. The only cool thing was the models of the city. Ok well after the boring museum we went to this flea market, hoping to find some good deals! There is a reason why I never go to these in the states! Creepy people, dirty stuff and nothing worth buying. My friends but a few shirts but I didnt want to really search through all the crap. Then we relaxed and went to dinner. There was 8 of us and then Kendal (a girl here) had some friends coming to visit...so there were 16 of us! The place hated us and everyone in the restaurant loved to stare. It was musical chairs and then we had to write down our own orders rather than the waiter taking it himself. Once we put our order in, he came back to tell us that with the 16 of us, we had to decide on 4 pastas to choose from. This makes no sense because if we all came in as smaller parties, you wouldnt tell us that we cant order a certain pasta. Ugh so frustrating. Dinner was delicious by the way and when the bill came, they charged us for tap water and bread that we didnt ask for! Be thankful for all the free stuff in America people!

Saturday: Beach day!! We rode the train down to the beach...and had to walk 25 minutes past all the beaches you have to pay for in order to get to the free beach! There were lots of topless ladies, wrinkley tan ladies and way too many speedos. Once again, Indian men were trying to sell of cheap crap and I just had to yell no the entire day. The water was amazingly warm and refreshing but SALTY! I know its the sea but I think they dumped a few extra packets of salt in this one. We were all excited cause we thought it was the Mediterranean sea but once we got home this wasnt the case. I brought cheap towels from home with me so I can throw them away afterwards and so it was a little too small for the beach. Every way I tried to lay down I got sand all over my head or legs and the sand was HOT! Once we got home we got ready for the pub crawl! It was 4th of July and we had to celebrate, right? So it was 25 dollars and it got you....pizza, a shirt, unlimited drinks for the first hour, and 3 shots. I was pretty weary about it at first but where else can I do a pub crawl? haha I am used to my American mixed drinks so I had Sprite and Vodka...talk about original! The pizza was delicious, the dancing at the 2nd bar was super fun and the 3rd bar was lame. After the 3rd bar we cut out but it was a fun night and I can now proudly wear my shirt that says: I came, I saw, I crawled. haha

1 comment:

alivaux said...

love it but hate that europe charges for bread...gotta love living in over-portioned america! if they charged for bread here, do you think we would have an obesity problem? ;) omg i have just solved the obesity epidemic! give me my masters right now.